Pilot Profile Alex Yaschenko


Name: Alex Yaschenko
Glider: Niviuk Icepeak 7 Pro
Flying For: 5 years
AU Rank: 3
WPRS: 343


1. Where do you mostly fly?
Bright.

2. Which pilots most influenced you?
Brian Webb, Andrew Horchner, Fred Gungl, Gareth Carter.

3. Where and what was your most memorable flying experience, best flight ever?
Pakistan in 2012 was pretty amazing. Lots of big mountains, deep, remote and beautiful. Flying around at over 6000m regularly watching huge avalanches, top landing at 4000m on the snow line to camp the night, deciding to cross passes knowing there's no roads out beyond - highly recommended.

4. What is your favourite flying site in your State?
Bright and Corryong.

5. What is your favourite site in Australia?
Manilla can be epic and Corryong is great.

6. What is your favourite site in World?
Haven't flown much except the Himalaya and AU, but big mountains are hard to beat.

7. What is you favourite item in your flying kit and why?
My Spot. It allows complete (almost) peace of mind when out in the flats, or pushing deep in remote places.

8. What do you believe to be your strongest flying skill?
Pushing, moving on early.

9. What do you believe to be your weak link?
Recognising when to slow down and fly conservatively.

10. What equipment do you use, Harness, Instruments, etc?
I3, IP7P, Flymaster B1 Nav, Kobo mini running xcsoar, Spot.

11. Best comp task you’ve flown so far, the most memorable?
Lots. I like the chase of comps, either leading out front or being pushed from behind.

12. Why do you fly?
The challenge. I need a goal to fly, I rarely fly for fun.

13. What are your personal flying goals?
Still chasing some distance records, and knocking Gareth off one year would be nice.

14. What tips can you give to newcomers to the sport?
Getting confidence early is hard due the nature of paragliding. I traveled to Nepal in Autumn my first year and clocked up ~50hrs in mellow conditions. I flew everyday, it was cheap and even managed an SIV. I think getting comfortable early like this, particularly with launching and landing, helped immensely with my flying. I'd highly recommend something similar.