Pilot Profile David Snowden

Name: David Snowden
Glider: Ozone Mantra M6
Flying For: 25 years
AU Rank: 16
WPRS: 681


1. Where do you mostly fly?
WA Xc training & East coast Comps.

2. Which pilots most influenced you?
The Brit pack through the 90's including the likes of Rob Whittalll, Jocky Sanderson, Bruce Goldsmith, John Sylvester and the ilk, then the PWC stars of yester-year. Sort of brought up the rear in those days then had a go more seriously for a few years thru into the late 90's. 2000 onwards saw influence from most of the guns on the PWC circuit then i guess our chaps here in Australia. I hope its been give & take along the way.

3. Where and what was your most memorable flying experience, best flight ever?
Surely must have been free flying Rakaposhi in Karakorum. 50 km o/r to get 7,300m on the flanks of the 14th highest peak in the World. Launching from above Karimabad gave over 5,000m of vertical gain bagging several peaks up to 7,000m along the way. Despite the numbers, it was perhaps the experiences of the surreal seeing the whole Karakorum and the Pamirs laid out below in their white glory whilst suspended under a Rag.

4. What is your favourite flying site in your State?
Mt Bakewell, our 'only' inland site !

5. What is your favourite site in Australia?
Bright Mystic, biased as I'm moving there.

6. What is your favourite site in World?
Bi list of equals there. All different , absorbing and special journeys each one.

7. What is you favourite item in your flying kit and why?
My E-nic stick and my pee tube. The only way i can achieve stamina for big Xc or maintain concentration for hours on end.

8. What do you believe to be your strongest flying skill?
Well, For Tasking comps. My strongest trait used to be my ballsy nature of high risk tasking. BUT that is completely out of mode and rather old fashioned for todays Tasking skills. SO I'm in the process of re-wiring to play the really high and blast it game. So by easing down on my impetuous nature and topping up on tenacity. Should make a difference this season.

9. What do you believe to be your weak link?
Being too nice.

10. What equipment do you use, Harness, Instruments, etc?
At present Mantra 6 / Woody X-Alps. Inst FLymaster Live, Kobo with Xc Soar and my old Xc Trainer sits as 3rd backup.. SPOT gps for safety and letting my wife know where i am. Love that wing, the M6, but considering going full CCC again, but I have to prove to myself that I need it, & I need to iron out some of my tactical creases on tasks. The M6 is quite capable of excellent overall Aus Comp results, its a magic Xc wing and only just off top end speed, so it'll do for now.

11. Best comp task you’ve flown so far, the most memorable?
Hmm... to pick one. Lets go back to 2002, PWC Clusas French ALps. Task of about 130k over all the terrain i knew.. Flew some magical lines that others didn't seem to see or want to use, lee-siding Taurnet, hitting Rock De Boeff at 50m above the lake and straight lining the next 40k along the tops of ridges and only taking the thermals high for long transitions.. nailed it, seemed in 'control' of the gaggle and made goal in @6th place !!! Well nearly, as i dumped in 20m short of the line and 65 pilots flew over me, never been the same since.

12. Why do you fly?
There really isn't anything on Tv these days.

13. What are your personal flying goals?
Ah, I'll have to keep that to myself, because, as above, its very painful landing short of goal.

14. What tips can you give to newcomers to the sport?
Take it steady, play the long game, you'll get there eventually whatever your goals. Come & see me if you need some pointers.