Pilot Profile Frank Adler


Name: Frank Adler
Glider: Ozone Delta 2
Flying For: 17 years
AU Rank: 11
WPRS: 495

1. Where do you mostly fly?
Bright.

2. Which pilots most influenced you?
Brian Webb - The skills clinics are invaluable.
Eki Maute - SIV x2 and a whole different perspective on safety.
Garath Carter - Living proof that winning ain't luck.

3. Where and what was your most memorable flying experience, best flight ever?
Tough call - It would be amazing memories of the scenery in Annecy vs. the excitement of flying my first 100km triangle in Bright during the Bright Open 2014.

4. What is your favourite flying site in your State?
Mt. Elliot, Corryong.

5. What is your favourite site in Australia?
Canungra Region.

6. What is your favourite site in World?
Annecy.

7. What is you favourite item in your flying kit and why?
My helmet since it:
a) Saved my head already twice
b) It's light and looks blazing fast
c) It keeps my face from burning (visor) when I've forgotten my sunscreen again

8. What do you believe to be your strongest flying skill?
My launch technique and low saves are hard to beat.

9. What do you believe to be your weak link?
Finding and staying in the core in windy conditions is definitely my weak point. Anything over 10kts is a real challenge.

10. What equipment do you use, Harness, Instruments, etc?
Helmet: Charly No Limit with tinted visor
Harness: Ozium L
Glider: Ozone Delta 2 (M)
Reserve: Light weight
Instruments: Flymaster Live, Note 4 with TopHat, Solario

11. Best comp task you’ve flown so far, the most memorable?
The most memorable tasks were definitively from Canungra. One that stands out for me was a task 2013 from Tambo to Woodenbong past Mt. Barney and Mt. Lindsay - an absolute stunner! Similarly the flight from Beachmont towards Kyogle was amazing. Bummer I landed short that day.

12. Why do you fly?
When I fly, I am in The Zone. There are no worries or distractions - it's just me, the glider and the next thermal. That's it.

13. What are your personal flying goals?
My goal is to qualify for and represent Australia in the World Championships.

14. What tips can you give to newcomers to the sport?
This is the magic sauce: Ground handle. A lot. Get the thermalling nailed. Do an SIV course at ~40 hours. Get a good glider that will take you cross-country. Do a skills clinic with Brian Webb. Fly in competitions, definitely the fastest and most fun way to progress quickly. That's it, by then you're well underway. Long and safe flights!!!