Pilot Profile Dave Gibbs

Name: Dave Gibbs
Glider: Niviuk Icepeak 8
Flying For: 21 years
AU Rank: 19
WPRS: 346


1. Where do you mostly fly?
Canungra.

2. Which pilots most influenced you?
Bruce Goldsmith for his graceful flying style. The late Richard Westgate for his sheer enthusiasm and ability to show whats possible.

3. Where and what was your most memorable flying experience, best flight ever?
One day that stands out for me was a day many years ago in Wales. The site was Pandy which is a treeless 15k ridge. I climbed out and flew across the black mountains and beyond. I landed about 40k away and then took 3 easy hitches back to the edge of the mountains. After climbing back up the to the ridge, i then flew the 15k back to my car followed by beers at the pub with mates. Perfect day.

4. What is your favourite flying site in your State?
Tamborine, its a technical site but very rewarding with spectacular views.

5. What is your favourite site in Australia?
Corryong, best place to fly.

6. What is your favourite site in World?
St Andre, France. Best place to race if you have the balls to stay on bar. Full on scary on others.

7. What is you favourite item in your flying kit and why?
My right thumb, im quite attached to it.

8. What do you believe to be your strongest flying skill?
Observation, climb ability (says me shaking my fist at Gareth above me !).

9. What do you believe to be your weak link?
Not listening to the alarm bell in my head.

10. What equipment do you use, Harness, Instruments, etc?
Niviuk IcePeak 8, Gin Genie Race 3, Beamer 3, Ozone Angel, C-Pilot + Flymaster.

11. Best comp task you’ve flown so far, the most memorable?
That 100 k triangle last year in Bright doesn't get much more epic.

12. Why do you fly?
Keeps me away from marriage, 2.4 children and half a dog.

13. What are your personal flying goals?
To be an old pilot.

14. What tips can you give to newcomers to the sport?
Fly a lot, don't smoke.